[custom_headline type=”center” level=”h3″ looks_like=”h2″ accent=”true”]Board 2021-2022[/custom_headline]
Deadline for board applications: May 23rd, 23:59
The Honours Programme Study Association Extensus aims to be a valuable extension of the Honours Programme for students and provide the opportunity to meet each other outside of a lecture room. The annual board sets out the strategy for the academic year ahead and manages the means and resources needed to attain the annual objectives. Being part of the board of Extensus is a demanding, non-financially compensated, yet very rewarding opportunity.
Extensus board members spend about 8-10 hours working on Extensus in an average week. You will gain significant experience that will benefit you in your future career. You will boost your CV. You will also develop your social and professional skills and networks.
As every Honours student familiar with Extensus knows, Extensus is not a cast-iron association, in which roles, goals, and aspirations are fixed. Instead, you work together with all board members to innovate, create and add to Extensus those elements which you and the rest of the board deem necessary for honours student!
Are you looking for board experience in an ambitious environment? Do you want to be challenged to steer Extensus towards greater size and excellence? Then we look forward to receiving your application!
Applicants can apply for maximum three of the following positions within the board:
- Vice President/Secretary
- Project Officer
- PR Officer
- Commercial Officer
The application process consists of a written application stage followed by an interview stage with members of the current board. The contents of the written application determine whether you will be invited to an interview.
The written application consists of a letter of motivation and a Curriculum Vitae, both in PDF format. Ideally, both your letter of motivation and your CV are written in English. The letter of motivation needs to show your enthusiasm and experience required for your desired positions within the Extensus Board. You can apply for three positions but one motivation letter will suffice.
Submit your motivation letter and CV in PDF format by filling out the JotForm: https://form.jotform.com/211122008871040
After receiving and reviewing all written applications, we will contact the applicants about the interview stage (this will be scheduled in the month of May). We interview the applicants to get to know them a little better and see if they are up to the task!
After all interviews are done, the current board will decide who are going to be part of the Extensus board of 2021-2022. You will be notified a few weeks after your interview about the outcome. Good luck! We look forward to receiving your application!
[custom_headline type=”center” level=”h3″ looks_like=”h2″ id=”president”]President[/custom_headline]
Can you lead your fellow board members wherever required? As the President of the Extensus board, you are responsible for the course of the association. Together with your board, you define and follow a path on which you want to bring Extensus while maintaining its culture and values and keeping Extensus’ long term vision represented heavily in the equation. Thus, you will need to be familiar with and understand the interests of honours students and Extensus members. You will chair the weekly board meetings and are responsible for the coordination of your team. The way Extensus represents itself externally and operates internally is a strong focus of your task. You are responsible for maintaining relations with the other (honours) associations and the Extensus Alumni Network. Lastly, the President will maintain good ties with the different universities and other parties, such as the Extensus advisory board.
- Leading the Board in general decision making
- Representing Extensus to all stakeholders
- Assuring the accomplishment of goals and pursuing Extensus vision
- Be knowledgeable at every time and ensure the flow of information in your team
- Determine meeting structure and chair board meetings
- Set up vision and mission for your board year in collaboration with your team
- Oversee next board election and transition
- Is responsible for collaboration with fellow honours associations and EAN
The ideal candidate
- Has a strong affinity with Extensus and its members
- Is professional and representative for Extensus
- Strong at keeping an overview of activities within the board and association
- Recognizes priorities, is a good listener and decisive at the same time
- Aims to develop their leadership skills
- Is comfortable with public speaking
- Fluent in English and preferably Dutch
- Preferably has experience with commercial relations and academic structures
Are you ready to be the administrator of Extensus? As Vice President and Secretary, you will be responsible for keeping the association organized. As Secretary, you will handle the incoming registrations and resignations, answer general emails, take minutes at meetings and admit people to our Facebook and LinkedIn groups. You will thus need to keep an overview of what is happening in Extensus and make sure that the necessary information is available when other board members need it. As Vice President, you will maintain close contact with the president about the internal dynamics of the board, as well as the strategic course of the association. Moreover, you will take place in the Honours Student Council, the main student representative body of the Honours Programme at the VU and the UvA. As Vice President and secretary, you need to be able to work in an organized manner, take initiatives of your own and keep track of what the rest of the board is doing. Are you up for the task?
- Internal & external communication
- Administration (e.g. setting up the board meetings, archiving of various documents)
- Ensure a clear overview of information from all the sources (e.g. Dropbox, email)
- Maintenance of the member database
- Representing the board in the Honours Student Council
- Support the President with regard to the internal dynamics of the board and the long-term goals of Extensus
- Can keep an overview
- Takes initiative
- Has some affinity with Gmail, Excel and Google Drive or Dropbox
As a Treasurer, you are responsible for the financial well-being of Extensus. At the start of the year you create the budget, and during the year you are responsible for all cash flows of Extensus. Making sure all bills are paid, sending out invoices to companies, are your tasks. You work in close cooperation with your fellow board members, allocating budgets and reporting on the financial situation of Extensus. What you get in return is a great experience controlling and reporting finances, as well as a large boost to your CV, but most importantly, a great year on the board of Extensus.
- Executing debit and credit orders
- Track the orders at the accounts
- Maintaining close contact with financial supporters
- Stimulating board and committees to establish valuable relationships with business partners
- Making an annual budget
- Approving and rejecting financial requests
- Track changes in financial laws and technicalities (e.g. taxability, IBAN)
The ideal candidate
- Is able to say no
- Is structured and punctual
- Is able to work independently
- Is responsible
- Is reliable and open
- Has the ability to keep an overview of data
All of Extensus’ events are organized by committees consisting of active Extensus members. As the Extensus Project Officer, you are responsible for setting up committees and guiding the active members in the organizational process. Furthermore, you need to have an overview of which events are happening when throughout the year and you need to make sure that deadlines are met. You will be in close contact with all the active members, play an active role in the committee meetings, provide organizational help, and monitor and keep track of all the progress made by the different committees. Furthermore, you represent the link between the committees and the Extensus board and keep both parties updated about important processes and events.
- Set up committees and schedule the events for the year, taking exams and other events into account
- Making sure events are organized and can happen following the yearly schedule
- Lead the committees and be able to take action when responsibilities are not met by committee members
- Keep track of progress, budget, and feasibility of the events
- Steering the committee and providing feedback and help organize if needed
- Represent Extensus at events
- Keep the board up to date on what is happening inside the committees
The ideal candidate
- Is able to transfer their enthusiasm about Extensus’ committees and events
- Has leadership skills; e.g. lead meetings, motivate members, take action to achieve goals
- Is willing to spend time attending committee meetings and traveling across the city
- Is fluent in English and Dutch and able to have meetings in these languages
- Is flexible, well structured and can cope with stressful situations
- Is creative; e.g. come up with new events and new ways to organize existing events
As the Public Relations Officer, you are responsible for the presentation of Extensus to its members and external parties. It is your task to make sure that all new Honours students know about Extensus and its events. To reach this goal, you and the rest of the board will give presentations at honours courses and will be present at different study-introductions, such as the intro week at AUC, to spread the word about Extensus.
Throughout the year, it is the task of the PR Officer to take care of the promotion of Extensus’ events. This includes setting up a sign-up form on the website, writing about it in the newsletter and posting on Facebook. It is also your responsibility to make sure there are pictures of every event and to make an after-movie if possible. If promotional material is necessary, like banners for events, it is your job to design and order this. To promote the events, you can come up with some very out-of-the-box promotional campaigns if you want!
- Promotion of Extensus and its events
- Keeping the website and Facebook up to date
- Write and send out newsletters
- Design promotion material such as banners, presentations etc.
- Acquisition of new members
- Making sure that all possible types of promotion are used to boost an event
The ideal candidate
- Has a creative mind
- Has an affinity with social media and writing exciting posts
- Has the ability to develop promotion material, such as flyers
- Has experience editing photos and videos, or would like to learn
- Is fluent in English (not necessarily in Dutch)
- Is familiar with WordPress, or would like to learn
As a Commercial Officer, you are responsible for the marketing strategy of Extensus. You are the face of Extensus towards the business world. It is therefore very important to know what Extensus’ values are, what we stand for and what we have to offer our potential partners and sponsors. Extensus cooperates with companies on different levels and in doing so creates a valuable reputation. As Commercial Officer you are the link between Extensus and the companies. With regard to the future of Extensus, you play an essential role in ensuring independence.
- Ensuring financial support from companies
- Creating and maintaining relationships with new partners and sponsors through acquisition
- Stimulating awareness of Extensus among companies
- Keeping track of the contracts and make new ones
- Maintaining good commercial relations with EAN
The ideal candidate
- Has an excellent level of speaking and writing in Dutch and English.
- Is able to work independently and together in a team
- Is representative at a professional level
- Is commercially oriented (able to understand stakeholder’s interests)
- Is good at networking
- Has organizational and creative skills
- Has a flexible time schedule (especially during office hours)
- Is reliable